Race News this week
- 2014 - 2015 Tom Cottrell's Open Water Swimmers' Guide is now Available in the App Stores.
The 2014-2015 Tom Cottrell’s Swimmers’ Guide to Open Water Swimming in South Africa is now available with an exciting new look and feel in the Apple and Android app stores .
- 2014 - 2015 Tom Cottrell's Open Water Swimmer's Guide is now live on www.swimmersguide.co.za
- Runners Guide Race Organisers: New Race or RaceChanges? If you organise an event and would like it to appear in the Runners’ Guide or if we already feature your race but you would like us to update your race details then please let Ann know. You are also welcome to let us know your pre-entry links, closing dates and send through your flyers and we will gladly attach them to your race for you.
- Nedbank Runners’ Guide for iPhone or iPad - now Free
- Nedbank Runners’ Guide for Android - now Free
- Run 4 Good Night Trail Run/Walk – 22 October 2014. Start: PWC Cycle Park, Bryanston – GP. Time: 19h00. Distance: 8km, 4km. Please join us for the Run 4 Good Night Trail Run/Walk on 22 October at the PWC Cycle Park in Bryanston in support of the Santa Shoebox Project.
- Pridwin 5km Knight Run in aid of Baragwanath Burns Unit – 11 October 2014. Start: Pridwin School, cnr Jameson Ave and St Andrews Str, Melrose (Janion Field) – CG. Time: 16h30.Distance: 5km
- Harrismith Mountain Race - 11 October 2014. Start: Platberg Stadium, Harrismith – FS. Time: 11h00. Distance: 15km, 5km
- SPAR Women’s 10km Challenge – Johannesburg - 12 October 2014. Start: Wanderers Club, Illovo – CG. Time: 08h00. Distance: 10km, 5km. Spar Grand Prix Settled but the Race is on for First Place. Women to Take To the Streets in SPAR Challenge.
- Mega Sport Classic Voet van Afrika Marathon & MTB Challenge – 17 – 19 October 2014. Start: Mega Park, Bredasdorp – Bol. Time: Friday 14h00 – Sunday 15h00. Van Der Merwe-Sport Stars Want To Make a Difference in the Overberg
- Oyster Catcher Trail Run – 19 September 2014. All records smashed… The Oyster Catcher Trail Run was again one for the books. The race that started as a two day trail run in 2012, has now on request by the runners, evolved into a three day event...
- 2014 Nedbank Winter Race Dates - is now out
- See our other publications here
Other Race News
Comrades Big Five Hills Series for Rhino Conservation
The Comrades Big Five Hills Series, is a project that has been undertaken to raise money for rhino conservation. It has been allied with the Comrades marathon, the iconic South African ultra-distance race between Durban and Pietermaritzburg.
Colin Milliken, an artist from the Eastern Province, was commissioned to paint the Big Five Hills of Comrades using a series of photographs from aerial photographer Pete van der Spek. Each of the Big Five Comrades Hills: Polly Shortts, Botha’s, Field’s and Cowie’s Hill, all well known to anyone who has run the arduous route, will be signed by one of the five legendary Comrades runners. They are Dave Rogers, Frith van der Merwe, Jackie Mekler and Alan Robb. This watercolour depicts Inchanga and is signed by Bruce Fordyce. They have been packaged in a portfolio that gives some background information on both the hills and the runners. You will receive all five hills when you purchase a set.
All proceeds from the sale of the set of five prints, will go the Magqubu Ntombela Memorial Foundation and the Wildlands Conservation Trust, in aid of Rhino conservation. The Wildlands Conservation Trust, headed by Dr. Andrew Venter is also devoted to rhino conservation and the protection of the environment. It’s a Comrades endorsed charity and brings considerable expertise to the fund-raising endeavour. Find out more.
The Comrades Big Five Hills Series for Rhino Conservation Charity.
Don't forget to see race changes and updates here!
If you are a race organiser please let us know if there are any changes we should know about.