Race News this week
- PG Glass Vlakvark Trail Run - 20 September 2014. Start: Faan Meintjies Nature Reserve, about 10km out on Dr Yusuf Dadoo Avenue (D2787, District Road), Klerksdorp – CNW. Time: 07h00 Distances: 21km, 10km, 5km
- Sasfin Gerald Fox Memorial Half Marathon & 10 km - 21 September 2014. Start: Johannesburg Zoo, Upper Park Drive – CG. Time: 07h00 Distances: 21.1km, 10km, 5km
- Daily Dispatch 8 km Fun Run - 21 September 2014. Start: Orient Beach Pools Area, East London – Bdr. Time: 09h00 Distances: 8km, 4km
- PetroSA Marathon, Half Marathon & 10 km - 27 September 2014. Start: De Bakke Santos Caravan Park, Mossel Bay – SWD. Time: 07h00 Distances: 42.2km, 21.1km 10km, fun run
- Spar Women’s 10 km Challenge – Johannesburg - 12 October 2014. Start: Wanderers Club, Illovo – CG. Time: 08h00 Distances: 10km, 5km. Calling All Schoolgirls to Take the SPAR Challenge
- Running Stars, Camille Herron and Devon Yanko Enter Comrades 2015
- NMMU George Campus Madibaz Half Marathon with Outeniqua Harriers – 23 August 2014. Beautiful Southern Cape Scenery
- The Kings School West Rand Clearwater Mall Race – 23 August 2014
- The Rotary Greatest Train Race – 23 August 2014. 15 000 runners take on the train for the 28th year!
- Pretoria SPAR Women’s 10km Challenge – 30 August 2014. Van Zyl Wins Pretoria Race in Course Record Time
- New Race or Race Changes? Please remember for all things Running, Walking or Trail related that Ann is the person to contact
- 2014 Nedbank Winter Race Dates - is now out
- 2014 - 2015 Tom Cottrell's Open Water Swimmer's Guide is now live on www.swimmersguide.co.za
- See our fabulous Nedbank Runners' Guide digital apps for Apple and Android
- See our other publications here
Other Race News
Comrades Big Five Hills Series for Rhino Conservation
The Comrades Big Five Hills Series, is a project that has been undertaken to raise money for rhino conservation. It has been allied with the Comrades marathon, the iconic South African ultra-distance race between Durban and Pietermaritzburg.
Colin Milliken, an artist from the Eastern Province, was commissioned to paint the Big Five Hills of Comrades using a series of photographs from aerial photographer Pete van der Spek. Each of the Big Five Comrades Hills: Polly Shortts, Botha’s, Field’s and Cowie’s Hill, all well known to anyone who has run the arduous route, will be signed by one of the five legendary Comrades runners. They are Dave Rogers, Frith van der Merwe, Jackie Mekler and Alan Robb. This watercolour depicts Inchanga and is signed by Bruce Fordyce. They have been packaged in a portfolio that gives some background information on both the hills and the runners. You will receive all five hills when you purchase a set.
All proceeds from the sale of the set of five prints, will go the Magqubu Ntombela Memorial Foundation and the Wildlands Conservation Trust, in aid of Rhino conservation. The Wildlands Conservation Trust, headed by Dr. Andrew Venter is also devoted to rhino conservation and the protection of the environment. It’s a Comrades endorsed charity and brings considerable expertise to the fund-raising endeavour. Find out more.
The Comrades Big Five Hills Series for Rhino Conservation Charity.
Don't forget to see race changes and updates here!
If you are a race organiser please let us know if there are any changes we should know about.